Economists Parag Pathak and Nancy Rose elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Honor society announces eight new members from MIT in 2018.
“Membership in the academy is not only an honor, but also an opportunity and a responsibility. Members can be inspired and engaged by connecting with one another and through academy projects dedicated to the common good.”
— Jonathan Fanton, President, American Academy of Arts and Sociences
Two MIT SHASS professors — Parag A. Pathak and Nancy L. Rose — are among the eight MIT faculty and 213 leaders from academia, business, public affairs, the humanities, and the arts elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences for 2018.
Pathak is the Jane Berkowitz Carlton and Dennis William Carlton Professor of Microeconomics; Rose is the Charles P. Kindleberger Professor of Applied Economics and head of the Department of Economics.
One of the nation’s most prestigious honorary societies, the academy is also a leading center for independent policy research. Members contribute to academy publications, as well as studies of science and technology policy, energy and global security, social policy and American institutions, the humanities and culture, and education.
Those elected from MIT this year are:
- Alexei Borodin, professor of mathematics;
- Gang Chen, the Carl Richard Soderberg Professor of Power Engineering and head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering;
- Larry D. Guth; professor of mathematics;
- Parag A. Pathak, the Jane Berkowitz Carlton and Dennis William Carlton Professor of Microeconomics;
- Nancy L. Rose, the Charles P. Kindleberger Professor of Applied Economics and head of the Department of Economics;
- Leigh H. Royden, professor of earth, atmostpheric, and planetary sciences;
- Sara Seager, the Class of 1941 Professor in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences with a joint appointment in the Department of Physics; and
- Feng Zhang, the James and Patricia Poitras Professor of Neuroscience within the departments of Brain and Cognitive Sciences and Biological Engineering, and an investigator at the McGovern Institute for Brain Research at MIT.
Published May 2018